Hope everyone is doing well!
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Auckland, NZ - Dec. 28, 2008
Here we are in New Zealand! After a frantic final week in DC filled with packing, cleaning, Christmas, and goodbyes, we flew out of Dulles on the 26th. Approximately 23 hrs later, we arrived safely on the 28th, and so did our luggage! Including all 5 bags that I checked...several people in immigrations did ask if we knew that it was summer since we had brought my snowboard. Here's Eric with the bags:
The big challenge was fitting everything in the little rental car - I wish I had taken a picture of the luggage strapped to the roof with zipties. Then we drove to our hotel in downtown Auckland, and only drove on the wrong side of the road once. Very successful trip. We visited the Sky Tower in the morning (highest tower in the southern hemisphere) with 360 degree views of Auckland. Parts of the floor were glass so you could look straight down:

We had lunch down on the water, then went to the Auckland Domain - a large park in the center of the city. It had beautiful grounds, with lots of trees and flowers that we had never seen before.




After a quick nap, we had dinner down at the Auckland Viaduct at a great italian restaurant called Portofinos. So far, it seems like a great city, with lots of restaurants, shops, parks, and water views. However, Eric has been disappointed by the fact that the toilets seem to flush straight down, so we have been unable to determine if the water will flush the reverse in the southern hemisphere.
Hope everyone is doing well!
Hope everyone is doing well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Everything seems amazing except for that glass floor. Yikes! That's on my Not-To-Do list when I visit. Great pics Kaye.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I can't even tell you how jealous I am! It is almost painful how badly I want to be there again :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool. It will almost seem like we are there with you. Love the flowers.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures from Milford Sound are incredible! Reminds Gary of the "Lord of the Rings" movies. Glad you got to see some of the waterfalls since the area is known for that runoff after a rain. The kayaking looks like so much fun.
ReplyDelete